General CAS Requirements
General CAS Requirements
- Candidates to the Bachelor’s degree must meet three types of Requirements:
University Requirements are outlined at Academic Degree Requirements/Bachelor’s Degree under the section on “Academic Degree Requirements.” Some highlights of the requirements include:
- UCC –University Core Curriculum. Note: Transfer Students with an AA degree from a Florida State Community College or a University in the Florida State System are exempt from the UCC
- Must clear the CLAST requirement
- You need a minimum of 120 credits to graduate
- Students entering the University with fewer than 60 hours must complete 9 hours of coursework during the summer semester.
- Foreign Language Requirement (FLENT/FLEX)
College of Arts & Sciences Requirements
- At least half of the upper division credits in any major must have been taken at FIU.
- In the last 60 semester hours of enrollment, students must earn nine semester hours of elective credits through coursework outside the major, six of which are to be taken outside the department sponsoring the program.
- Students must earn a grade of “C” or higher in all courses required by the major. A grade of “C-“ or lower is not acceptable in any required course.
- Of the total number of hours submitted for graduation, a minimum of 48 semester hours must be in upper division courses.
- Students must demonstrate competency in a foreign language, or in American Sign Language, at the level of the second semester of a college language sequence. (High school courses cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.) This requirement may be met by successfully completing with a grade of “C” or better (C- does not count):
- The second semester of a two-semester sequence basic language course or
- Any second-year or third-year foreign language course
- By presenting acceptable scores in the Advanced Placement Exam, the SAT II, the CLEP Exam, or another approved instrument. Students should consult their advisers for more specific information or make an appointment at the CAS Advising Center: 305-348-2978.
- One- and two-credit physical activity courses (with the prefixes PEL, PEM, PEN) cannot be included as part of the hours needed for graduation.
Requirements for CAS Majors
Requirements for Majors are described in the Undergraduate Catalog or may be accessed by links on the CAS Undergraduate Majors Webpage.
Requirements for a Minor
Students who desire to earn a Minor must satisfy individual departmental or program requirements and the following College requirements:
- At least half of the courses used to fulfill the requirements must have been taken at FIU.
- Earn a grade of “C” or higher in all courses required for the minor. A grade of “C-“ is not acceptable in any required courses.
See Undergraduate Minors.
Requirements for Certificates
Requirements for Certificates are described in the Undergraduate Catalog or may be accessed by links on the CAS Undergraduate Majors Webpage.